About Martha Newman
Martha M. Newman, J.D., PCC
Executive and Professional Coach
Martha M. Newman is an Executive and Professional Coach who helps attorneys build leadership skills, enhance business performance and advance their professional careers.
Having received her coaching training from the Graduate School of Management at the University of Texas at Dallas and her PCC (Professional Certified Coach) credential from the International Coach Federation, Martha’s coaching and workshops are outcome-oriented with a focus on achieving tangible, business results for her clients. She was formerly a business attorney, TV news anchor, and Fort Worth Zoning Commission Vice-Chair. Her corporate work experience is in the fields of sales training, public relations, and advertising.
Examples of in-house lawyers and business executive clients:
- Chubb Group of Insurance Companies (In House Litigation Manager)
- National Casualty Insurance Company (In House Attorney in Austin office who supervises eight attorneys in the legal section)
- Price, Waterhouse, Cooper (Senior Manager)
- Availty (Chief Innovation Officer for the nation’s largest health information network)
- North American Coal (Plant Manager, Mississippi)
- Tektronix Communications, Inc. (Senior Marketing Manager, Richardson)
- Alvarez & Marsal, Taxand, LLC (Senior Director of Compensation and Benefits)
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (Account Manager)
Examples of attorney clients in law firms coached on career development, rainmaking and leadership:
- Munck, Carter (Dallas) (Shareholder in Litigation Section, Executive Committee Member)
- Alexander, Dubose and Townsend (Largest appellate boutique in Texas with offices in Austin, Dallas and Houston. Coached all partners including, Doug Alexander who was recently named by attorney peers as one of the TOP 10 LAWYERS IN TEXAS.)
- Shannon, Gracey (Fort Worth) (Partner in Commercial Litigation)
- Wilson, Elser (National firm) (Dallas Partner in Insurance Coverage)
- Akerman, Senterfitt (National firm) (Los Angeles Partner in Construction Law)
- Dykema (National firm) (Los Angeles Partner in IP)
- Cantey, Hanger (Fort Worth)
- Whitaker, Chalk (Fort Worth) (Partner and former Vice President/Deputy GC of Alcon, Inc.)
- Thomas Guise Solicitors (U.K.) (Partner Director of regional, three-city law firm in England)
In addition to her private coaching practice, Martha currently serves as:
- Appointee to the State Bar of Texas’ Law Practice Management Committee (appointed to 3 year term by State Bar President, Roland Johnson.) As chair of LPM’s State Outreach Committee, Martha is charged with providing and/or planning CLE programs on law practice management topics to bar associations across the state.
- Executive Coach hired by University of Texas at Dallas’ Graduate School of Management to coach business executives pursuing EMBA degrees.
- Published contributor to SBOT’s Law Practice Management Newsletter distributed to 60,000 Texas lawyers.
- Webinar Host and Presenter for State Bar CLE presentations produced in Austin: “Lessons Learned from the Lawyers Creed” 2008 and “Legal Writing for the Rewired Brain” 2009
- Presenter to Dallas Association of Young Lawyers: “How to Start a Law Practice” in December, 2009 and “How to Build a Big Book of Business” in January, 2010
- Board of Directors: Women Lawyers Section, Tarrant County Bar Association, Vice-President of Programs
- Board of Directors: Fort Worth Human Resources Management Association, Vice-President of Marketing
- Guest speaker for business organizations throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
Presenter to these professional organizations:
- “Perfecting Your Practice” CLE Seminar sponsored by SBOT, Austin, Tx, November, 2010
- Texas General Counsel Forum/DFW Forum Women: Presenter for August, 2010 event in Dallas.
- State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June, 2010, Fort Worth, Texas
- University of Texas School of Law Seminar in Austin: Introduction to the Practice of Law
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law
- National Association of Law Review Editors Conference
- State Bar of Texas Webinar: The Lawyer’s Creed and Legal Writing for the Rewired Brain
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (twice)
- Austin Bar Association Small Firm Section CLE
- Inns of Court: Beaumont, Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Brown Bar Seminar CLE’s (four times)
- Women Lawyers Section of TCBA (three times)
- Women Lawyers Retreat, TCBA
- Real Estate Section of TCBA
- Parker County Bar Association
- Northeast Tarrant County Bar Association
- Association of Legal Administrators: Annual Meeting Fort Worth
- Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce: Women in Business Section
- Association of General Contractors: Parker County
- Women in Construction Organization: Fort Worth
- Fort Worth Human Resources Management Association
- ConnectHer (network of professional women located in Dallas)
Prior to opening her coaching business, Martha practiced civil law with an emphasis on contracts, oil & gas, and business litigation. Martha served as Vice-Chair of the Fort Worth Zoning Commission for two years by election of other Commission members. Her tenure on the Zoning Commission lasted seven years during which time she made land use decisions affecting the Fort Worth metropolitan area and helped prepare the city’s Comprehensive Plan.
In addition to her legal and corporate work, Martha has been a television news anchor, reporter and producer for WFAA-TV in Dallas, winning the prestigious Katy Award from the Dallas Press Club and Best Feature award from United Press International. She earned her J.D. degree from the University of Texas School of Law and her Bachelor of Broadcast Journalism degree from the University of Missouri School of Journalism.Find Me on Google+